BETI BACHAO BETI PADHAO
Beti Bacho Beti Padho (BBBP) launched by the Prime Minister on 22nd January 2015 at Panipat, Haryana. BBBP empowers girls and encourages people in bringing mental revolution realizing the value of girl child and giving them their rights. The overall goal of the BBBP is to celebrate the girl child and enable her education. The trend of ever-declining child sex ratio in the country has given rise to the necessity of this program.
“When girls are educated, their countries become stronger and more prosperous” – Michelle Obama
“Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao, India ko Swarg Banao”
“Don’t be cold; Girls are worth more than gold.”
“Girlchild brings joy; she is no less than a Boy”.
“Every Man Needs A Mother, Wife, Sister Then Why Not A Daughter?”
STATISTICS – What Numbers have to Say?
- The trend of decline in the Child Sex Ratio (CSR), defined as the number of girls per 1000 of boys between 0-6 years of age, was steady since 1961. The decline from 945 in 1991 to 927 in 2001 and further to 918 in 2011 is alarming. According to UNICEF statistics, India was ranked 41 among 195 countries in this regard in 2012.
- In 2015, the scheme focused on 100 districts with comparatively lower sex ratio. The year after that, the government added 61 more districts and extending to all 640 districts in March 2018.
- The data released by the Government for the period 2015-17 from the first 161 districts shows improving trend in Sex Birth Ratio in 104 districts, 119 districts showing progress in first- trimester registration and 146 districts report institutional deliveries.
- However, since the launch of BBBP in 2014 -15 to 2017-18 a total sum of INR 368 crores was allocated of which INR 291 was released. The underutilization of funds criticized the scheme’s implementation
- 56% of the allocated amount was spent on the advertising campaign and 25% of the funds were distributed to districts and states.
DESCRIPTION – Let’s take a Deep Dive
“Beti Bacho Beti Padho” is a joint initiative by Ministry of Women and Child Development, Ministry of Human Resource Development and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and it covers all Indian states and union territories. The government facilitates in generating awareness and improving the efficiency of the delivery of welfare services meant for women through BBBP.
BETI BACHO BETI PADHAO OBJECTIVES:
- To prevent gender-biased sex-selective elimination.
- To ensure survival and protection of the girl child.
- To ensure education and participation of the girl child.
BETI BACHO BETI PADHAO STRATEGIES:
- Implement a sustained Social Communication Campaign to make sure that the birth and upbringing of girl child lead to their empowerment.
- Multi-sectorial actions to covering all states and union territories involve united efforts for the management of BBBP.
- Place the issue of decline in CSR and adopt suitable measures and integrated actions.
- Institutional training to the local bodies, workers at the grass root level, new women entrepreneurs and community at large to bring social change.
- Reducing the dropout rate among the girls.
- Enforce the Right To Education (RTE) Act.
- Establishment of monitoring committees.
- Make sure that schemes and programmes are responsive to the issues of gender and children rights.
ACHIEVEMENTS AND ADVANTAGES OF BETI BACHO BETI PADHAO
- BBBP scheme aims at making girls independent financially and socially.
- Through this scheme, the government aims to aware and address society towards women issues.
- The government structures policies and schemes ensuring the efficiency and implementation for the welfare of women.
- The government has launched ‘SUKANYA SAMRIDHI YOJANA’ which offers to open an account in the post office for the benefit of the girl child between 2-10 years of age. This scheme carries the highest interest @ 8% p.a with the maximum deposit of 1.50 lakhs per annum.
- The impact of BBBP scheme is visible within 2yrs after its launch date. The Sex Ratio has crossed to 950 females per 1000 males.
- The number of women police office also has increased from 6% to 8.5%.
- A large number of women are now free to join fields and careers of their own choice.
- The government is continually stressing on the quality of education for girls and encouraging their parents to send their girl child to schools.
BETI BACHO BETI PADHAO CHALLENGES
- The BBBP scheme will be difficult to carry out efficiently unless it is executed properly.
- The mindset of the people remains to be conservative despite huge awareness programmes being conducted.
- The scheme needs a civic body to support and meet the goals of the scheme.
- The Government and the police are yet to comprehend the size of the women atrocities seriously.
- 56% of the fund allocated to the scheme is used for promotional activities than distributing it to the districts for scheme implementation.
- There is a huge difference in the sum of funds allocated and the sum of funds actually released.
Beti Bacho Beti Padhao scheme is a praiseworthy initiative by the Government which has created awareness amongst the masses. This scheme helps to uplift the girl child and giving them their rights. The scheme may make a call to people to end the discrimination between the sons and daughters and bring all-round progress in family, society, nation and world at large.
Author – Riddhi Pansare